2018
Participating Institutions
 
 
821. Frederick Oakes Sylvester (1869–1915) was a versatile artist who captured the spirit of the Southeastern United States in paintings, murals, and poems. Born in Massachusetts, Sylvester trained as an artist at the Massachusetts Normal School and spent most of his life in New Orleans, where he taught at Newcomb College. Sylvester exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago and the New Orleans Art Association and won medals and prizes from the St. Louis Exposition of 1904 and the Society of Western Artists’ Exhibition of 1906. These large-scale paintings are owned by the University of Missouri Museum of Art, Columbia, Missouri.




Frederick Sylvester "Call of Spring"
H. 90" x W. 54" Before Treatment


Frederick Sylvester "The Stream"
H. 90" x W. 54" Before Treatment





















822. Arthur Bowen Davies (1862-1928) began formal art training with a private instructor and studied in Chicago, New York City, and Europe. In 1908 he exhibited with The Eight, a group of artists who opposed traditional academic art, and in 1913 was a major organizer for the Armory Show in New York, which brought different types of modern art to the public. His art was mysterious, often based on dreams, and portrayed beautiful, fantastic scenes populated with elegant nudes. The below five oils are owned by the Memphis Brooks Museum, Memphis, Tennessee.



Arthur Davies "Leda"
H. 14" x W. 28" Before


Arthur Davies "Autumn"
H. 18" x W. 30" Before


Arthur Davies "Nude"
H. 14" x W. 30" Before




Anon. "Joseph Tagg"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment


Anon. "Matilda Walker"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment













           
823. Karl King (1891-1971) was a reknown bandmaster composing works for Barnum and Bailey and Buffalo Bill’s Wildwest show. He became bandmaster for the Sells-Floto Circus in 1915 and was bandmaster of the Barnum and Bailey Circus band 1917–1918. King composed more than 300 works and 188 marches. The imaged painting is owned by the Karl King Historical Collection, Fort Dodge, Iowa.

C. Sigmund "Karl King"
H. 28" x W. 22" Before Treatment














824. These oils represent 119 paintings that have been conserved for the Indiana State Museum over the last fourteen years. The left painting is from the hand of T. C. Steele, the leading artist of the Hoosier School of Midwestern Impressionists. Steele was born in 1847 and died in 1926. During his formative years he moved to Munich and studied at the Royal Academy of Art with Frank Duveneck and Ludwig Loefftz. In 1885, he returned to Indianapolis and established an art school with William Forsyth. While his landscapes are his signature style, he was also a very fine portrait artist. Today he is remembered as Indiana's finest artist from the early part of the 20th century.









T. C. Steele "Landscape with Cows"
H. 22" x W. 28" Before Treatment


John Ottis Adams "Landscape"
H. 14" x W. 20" Before Treatment














825. The below oils are owned by the National Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque, Iowa. A highly successful conservation fund-raising event has supported the conservation of these three paintings.




Anon. "Mrs. Perreau"
H. 23" x W. 19" Before


Kavanagh "Catfish Creek"
H. 21" x W. 33" Before


Anon. "Gen. Perreau"
H. 23" x W. 19" Before

















Home, Page 166, 167, 168

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com