Selected Artists
 
John Neagle

"Potrait of Samuel Maccracken" 1824
"Portrait of Mrs. Samuel Maccracken" 1824

Owner: The Fairfield Heritage Association
Lancaster, Ohio
           

Before Treatment

Before Treatment

           
John Neagle, portrait-painter, was born in Boston, Massachusetts on November 4, 1796. He began his career as an apprentice to a coach-painter, but he received some early lessons on painting from Bass Otis. In 1818 he determined to devote himself to portrait-painting, and moved to Lexington, Kentucky, and thence to Frankford, Louisville, and New Orleans, but returned to Philadelphia two years later. His first decided success was a portrait of the Reverend Dr. Joseph Pilmore, which is in St. George's hall, Philadelphia. In 1825 he painted his celebrated full-length portrait of Patrick Lyon, the blacksmith, at his forge, which is now in the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia. The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, owns his portrait of Gilbert Stuart. For several years before his death he had been unable to work, the result of a stroke from which he never recovered. Neagle was widely acclaimed in the prestigious Philadelphia art community that included Thomas Sully. Sully was actually Neagle's father-in-law, for he married Sully's daughter in 1820. John Neagle died in Philadelphia on September 17, 1865. The above portraits depict the first owners of the famed "Georgian Mansion," a Federal home completed in 1832.
           
           


Home

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com